Recommend TEK membership
We wish to encourage TEK members to recommend membership to their friends and acquaintances and Akava staff representatives to recommend membership to those they represent. We will reward full members of TEK with a 50 euro discount on their membership fee and Akava representatives and other TEK members with a 50 euro gift card to Super gift card if their recommendation leads to a new member joining TEK.
Why should you recommend membership to others?
The more there are of us, the more influence we will have on matters that are important to us, the better services we can provide to our members and the more reliable our information will be with regard to our members' salary levels in different positions, for example.
Who can you recommend TEK membership to?
Persons who have completed the degree of Master of Science in Technology, Architect or some other equivalent STEM degree (e.g., mathematicians, physicists, computer scientists and applied geographers) may become full members of TEK. University students of these fields can become student members.
How should you recommend TEK membership?
We do not want anyone to be pressured into becoming a TEK member. The decision to join is always up to the person themselves. What is important is having a discussion where you listen to the other person and appreciate their opinions. However, you can encourage those who have doubts and tell them your view of why being a member of TEK is important and what benefits it entails. You can review our membership benefits and services here. Also remember to tell them that the membership fee is tax-deductible in its entirety and it will be automatically added to your pre-completed tax return form.
Remember to ask the new member to mark you as their referee
The membership application for full members contains the item: "Did another TEK member or a staff representative at your company (e.g., shop steward) recommend membership to you?" ("Suositteliko sinulle jäsenyyttä toinen tekkiläinen tai yrityksesi henkilöstöedustaja (esim. luottamusmies)?") Ask the joining member to enter your name and email address here with your permission. If you are a member of TEK, preferably give them the same email address you are using on TEK's membership register so that you do not have to identify yourself as a member separately.
There are two different membership application forms:
- Form for those with a degree completed in Finland or who currently study in Finland (language settings available in the upper right corner)
- Form for those with a degree completed abroad (who don't currently study in Finland): Form in English / Form in Finnish
What needs to happen before you get the reward?
When the joining member has filled out and submitted the membership form, we at TEK will check that 1) the person is eligible for full membership and 2) has not been a member of TEK over the last year. We will also check how many referral rewards you have received during this calendar year: the maximum reward for a single referee is worth 200 euros per year, which means a maximum of four referral rewards per referee per calendar year.
You may, of course, recommend TEK membership to more than four persons per year. In fact, please do so!
How do you accept the reward?
If you are a full member of TEK and your information can be found on TEK's membership portal with the provided email address, you will receive your 50 euro discount on your membership fee for each new full member within a month, up to the maximum discount sum of 200 euros. If you are not a full member of TEK, we will send you an email to the email address provided by the joining member when the aforementioned conditions for are met. This email will contain a link to a reward acceptance form. If you are not a full member of TEK, we will need your home address so that we can send you your gift card and we also need your identity number so that we can notify the tax authorities of the reward.
When will you receive your reward?
For full members of TEK, the system will log the membership fee discount within a month of the day when the person you recommended is accepted as a full member of TEK. If we cannot find you in our system with the provided email address, your membership fee discount will be issued within a month of the day when you fill out a form that identifies you as a full member of TEK. If you are an Akava staff representative or other kind of TEK member (e.g., student, retiree or dual member), you will receive your gift card(s) within two months of the day when you notify us that you will be accepting the reward, provided that your contact information is up to date in TEK's/YTN'S/JUKO's register.
Referral reward conditions in more detail
- The reward is only issued for new full members, not for new student, retiree or dual members.
- The referee is only rewarded if the joining member has not been a member of TEK during the last year (student, retiree, dual or full member).
- The joining member must notify us of the referee's name and email address on the membership form with permission from the referee.
- The recipient of the reward must be a member of TEK (student, retiree, dual or full member) or a staff representative belonging to an Akava union.
- One member can receive the membership fee discount or gift card a maximum of four times in one calendar year.
- If the referee is both a full member of TEK and a staff representative, they will be rewarded with the membership fee discount.
- We will notify tax authorities of the gift cards as they are taxable income.
- TEK staff members cannot receive referral rewards.