Technology for Climate
Technology for Climate was an event full of learning and getting inspired on how each and everyone of us can make more climate friendly choises in our career in technology sector. The event was held at Aalto University Undergraduate Centre, Otakaari 1 on Friday 27th September from 12.30 to 20.00.
You can still enjoy the seminar by watching the stream recording and checking the presentation slides! This event is for you whether you wish to tune your current position or make more radical career moves. The event also wishes to provide a chance to support school strikes for climate as the school strikers have invited everyone to join them in striking for climate on the day of the event.
Get to know all of the great speakers below,
rewatch THE STREAM
- Theme 1: What can I do to make my workplace more climate friendly? Solutions toward a carbon neutral organization
- Session 1: The carbon footprint of a typical expert organization and the roadmap to climate neutrality, case TEK, Jussi-Pekka Teini, TEK
- Session 2: Energy efficiency and energy use of an office building, Elias Herva, Helen
- Session 3: Work-related travel without flying, Matti Kinnunen
- Session 4: Carbon neutral commuting for a productive workplace, Heikki Liimatainen, Tampere University
- Session 5: Are genuine emission reductions possible with carbon offsetting? Janne Kärki, CO2esto
- Theme 2: Active Citizenship
- Session 1: Climate activism #FridaysForFuture, Jonna Rönn
- Session 2: Active citizenship through entrepreneurship and career, lessons learned from Silicon Valley, Sanna Perkiö, Ecobio
- Session 3: Why climate policies are failing and what can you do about it? Atte Harjanne, Member of Finnish parliament
- Session 4: Energy Experts reduce energy usage in apartment buildings, Mikko Muukki, SEM
- Session 5: Climate activism through NGOs, case Suomen Ekomodernistit, Rauli Partanen, SEM
- Theme 3: Inspirational career stories on solving climate crisis with technology
- Session 1: Mission: solve climate change, Mariko Landström, Sitra
- Session 2: Global Climate Modeling & Aerosols: A Career Story, Tuuli Miinalainen, UEF
- Session 3: From Consumerism to Impact Investing: Transforming the Way We Spend, Maija Leino, Useless Company
- Session 4: Embracing circular economy in improving and increasing energy access in Sub-Saharan African in a sustainable way, John Bairoh, SmartHybrid Energy
- Theme 4: Climate impact in different fields of technology
- Session 1: Demystifying environmental impact of ICT, Matti Pärssinen, Aalto University
- Session 2: Climate impact of built environment, Juho Laaksonen, Dynaamiset rakenteet ry
- Session 3: Carbon management in industry, Ville Nikkanen, VTT
- Session 4: De-carbonizing the energy sector, Ville Tulkki, VTT
- Session 5: Electrification of everything in decarbonizing society, Heidi Uimonen, Fingrid
THEME 1 SPEAKER PRESENTATIONS
Jussi-Pekka Teini is working on Engineering Sustainability at Tekniikan akateemiset TEK.
Elias Herva is creating smarter cities by working as a Specialist at Helen.
Matti Kinnunen is an ICT professional working as a Systems Architect.
Heikki Liimatainen is a Associate Professor at Tampere University and a member of Ilmastopaneeli.
Janne Kärki is one of the founders of an emission compensation platform CO2esto and also working as a Senior Scientist at VTT.
THEME 2 SPEAKER PRESENTATIONS
Jonna Rönn is a high school student in Otaniemen lukio and has been active in the School Strike climate activism movement #FridaysForFuture.
Sanna Perkiö is a former Member of Parliament and the founder of Ecobio company where she currently works at.
Atte Harjanne is a Member of Parliament with a strong background on climate research working as a researcher and a doctoral candidate in Finnish Meteorological Institute.
Mikko Muukki is an Expert in Imaging and Video Technology at Huawei Technologies and an active member of the Finnish Ecomodernist Society.
Rauli Partanen is one of the founding members of Finnish Ecomodernist Society and an award-winning science and non-fiction writer.
THEME 3 SPEAKER PRESENTATIONS
Tuuli Miinalainen is a University of Estern Finland PhD student on Aerosol physics research group.
Maija Leino is one of the founders and CEO of UseLess Company aiming to reduce spending and increase impact investing.
John Bairoh has founded his own company SmartHybrid Energy aming to reduce energy poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa.
THEME 4 SPEAKER PRESENTATIONS
Juho Laaksonen is the Managing Director at Dynamic Structures Association Finland.
Ville Nikkanen is a Research Scientist at VTT working on thermodynamical conversions.
Ville Tulkki is a Research Team Leader of Reactor Analysis team at VTT
Heidi Uimonen is an Electricity Market Specialist creating a clean, smart and efficient power system working at Fingrid.