TEK supports its members in their studies and their careers. We offer you the best tailored services to support your career.
- Unemployment Insurance - The IAET unemployment fund membership is included in the membership fee. (Employed full members and student members who are working, EUR 7.25 month)
- Liability and Legal Aid Insurance is included in the membership fee and covers legal expenses in employment-related disputes, as well as personal, material and property damage occurred during work. (Employees, sole proprietors and students)
- Insurance discounts - OP Insurances offers a continuous 20% discount for travel insurance and a 5% discount for baggage insurance. The life insurance offered by If to TEK members is one of the most affordable in Finland.
- The Salary Surveyor - You can check what the correct the correct salary level is. The Salary Surveyor will draw the salary curves on the basis of your selections of variables. The information is based on the annual labour market survey of TEK members.
- Salary recommendations to ensure that the salaries of internships, thesis works and first jobs are at the right level!
- Personal salary counselling - by e-mail or phone.
- Salaries abroad are studied among members every three years. In addition, our salary counsellors make use of international salary statistics.
- Employment relationship counselling - Our lawyers offer our members personal help with working life-related legal matters. Advice is available for topics such as employment disputes and preparing employment contracts.
- Legal databank (in Finnish) - Work-related legal information online.
- eLakimies legal information service (in Finnish) - The interactive online service offers answers to the most common questions concerning employment.
- Advice on family and inheritance law from our lawyers.
- CV Clinic - Tailored CV advice and personal* CV feedback from our career coaches.
- Job hunting - Personal* advice for members actively looking for work. A comprehensive set of information and job hunting tools, such as the Haastis app to help you practice for your job interviews, and the GoinGlobal service to support those planning to move abroad.
- Career coaching - Personal* coaching for when you want to plan your career and its direction.
- TEKrekry’s LinkedIn group - Job openings, networking and career discussion.
* Personal coaching is available for full members and students close to graduation. Our career coaches are available on campuses at different events, lectures and workshops to help students during the most active summer job hunting period.
PROMOTION OF MEMBERS’ INTERESTS
- Shop stewards - The shop stewards at your work place selected by your personnel group. They represent you and all Akava members in matters related to employment and help with the interpretation of collective labour agreements.
- Omaluottamusmies.fi online service (mostly in Finnish) - Working life information service for people with a higher education degree. The service covers topics such as employment contracts and salaries.
- Terms of employment - In addition to a personal employment contract, the general terms of employment and pay rises are negotiated between employer and employee unions. TEK participates in the collective labour agreement negotiations as a part of the Akava-based negotiation organisation YTN and JUKO.
- Education and labour policy - TEK lobbies to affect education and labour policy in order to create competitiveness for Finland through expertise.
- Technology policy - TEK strives to ensure a favourable industrial policy for technology professionals and enterprises.
PUBLICATIONS AND MAGAZINES
- Electronic newsletter for members - useful news by e-mail once a month.
- Professional magazines (in Finnish) - As a full member, you will receive two Alma Talent magazines of your choice. Student members receive the magazines Tekniikka&Talous and Talouselämä as digital publications.
- A professional book in English language - As an alternative to Finnish professional magazines for full members who live in Finland.
- TEK magazine (in Finnish) - 5 issues/year, content covers technology, work and the engineering student spirit.
- TEK online magazine - almost daily news and background information between printed magazines.
- TEK pocket planner or wall calendar - Free of charge, but must be separately ordered.
- Teekkarin työkirja guide - The best job hunting guide for students.
- Books published by Alma Talent - can be purchased at a 30% discount.
EVENTS AND NETWORKING
- Career evenings - Events (mostly in Finnish) are for full TEK members covering themes such as careers, job hunting, occupational well-being and work-life balance. Some of the career evenings are streamed and saved, so you can watch them online.
- Young professionals’ evenings - Networking and career stories for TEK members about to start their career or finish their studies.
- Pop-up events at campuses - bringing TEK experts close to students.
- Family science day - The best way to become interested in science is to try some yourself! Science activity points allow children to try out technological applications.
- Regional organisations and clubs offer opportunities for networking and leisure activities in great company.
- TEK Lounge - The first TEK member space for remote work, events and networking has been opened in the Tietotalo building of the Tampere University of Technology.
- TEK Entrepreneurs’ Club functions as a connection hub for entrepreneurs and members with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Personal legal advice on entrepreneurship-related matters.
- Webinars for entrepreneurs - Arranged jointly by TEK, the Finnish Business School Graduates and Fondia.
- Virtual Lawyer - Fondia’s online service provides entrepreneurs with information on legal matters to support their business.
- The extensive service package of the Federation of Finnish Enterprises - Entrepreneur members of TEK can obtain the extensive service package of the Federation of Finnish Enterprises at the price of EUR 90 per year.
- UKKO.fi - Invoicing service for TEK members at a 20% discount.
- Housing loan - You get lower margins, instalment-free periods without fees, stepped payment programme, more affordable daily banking services and no delivery or handling fees from Danske Bank.
- Etulaina loan - The customers of all banks can apply for Danske Bank’s Etulaina loan quickly and conveniently online, without an opening fee and with a very competitive interest.
- Banking services for recent graduates - Danske Bank offers recently graduated TEK members (a maximum of two years after graduation) a package of benefits and services that may be worth as much as EUR 700 per year.
- Fund investments without subscription and redemption fees at Evli Bank.
- Sijoittajan Tietopaketti investor guide - The Finnish Shareholders Association offers TEK members the Sijoittajan Tietopaketti 2018 investor guide free of charge.
- Member+ member benefit portal - A joint portal for all Akava unions offering discounts for services related to, for example, travel, hobbies, cars and well-being.
- A-lomat holiday service (in Member+ portal) - Supported family and well-being holidays, hostel benefits and affordable rental cabins around Finland through the A-lomat service.
- Engineer’s Ring - In order to acquire the Engineer’s Ring, you need a ring certificate from TEK. Members receive a discount of EUR 50.
- Psychologist’s services online, -10% from Therapion