UPDATE AND MAINTAIN YOUR SKILLS
expand your skills during unemployment
Labour market training (Työvoimakoulutus) often contains a training period that gives you important work experience and new contacts to potential employers. If you are a customer of an Employment and Economic Development Office, you can take two years’ worth of labour market training. You will receive an unemployment benefit for the duration of the training.
An unemployed person can also study independently. However, the study plan must be presented to the Employment and Economic Development Office for approval! Studying while unemployed is subject to certain regulations. Read more here.
Online training is available from universities and training companies in Finland and abroad:
- Finnish Institute of Technology- FITech offers university courses free of charge for degree students and adult learners.
- Massive open online course (MOOC), can help you learn about work-related topics e.g. digital skills, AI, future of work, etc.
- University of the Future offers product development short courses for professionals in the field of technology. In these courses, you're teamed up with fellow professionals and guided by Aalto University teachers to solve real-life problems provided by companies.
- Aalto University Public Lecture Series.
- Class Central
- Aalto open university course list
- Etäopiskelu (Remote studies, in Finnish)
- Future Learn offers a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world.
- Open university
- Free code camp
Take part in Finnish language courses.
You can also study Finnish online.
Events and networking
Career evenings are for TEK's full members covering themes such as careers, job hunting, occupational well-being, and work-life balance.
Also, have a look at webinars and recordings of streamed Career Events organized by TEK's Career Services. (Login Required)
Young professionals’ forum - Coaching for enhancing your management and interaction skills as well as your professional brand. Intended for those that have graduated less than 5 years ago or are under 35 years old.
Family science day - The best way to become interested in science is to try some yourself! Science activity points allow children to try out technological applications.
Regional organizations and clubs offer opportunities for networking and leisure activities in great company (information in Finnish).
TEK Lounge - Space for TEK members for remote work, events and networking in Tampere and Lappeenranta